101. Queen Boudicca died one hundred twenty-nine years after Cleopatra VII was born. Their combined ages totaled 100 years.
If Cleopatra died in 30 BC, when was Boudicca born?
102. The most common function of a basilica was as a court house. For example, the Basilica Julia housed the court of the Centumviri.
Based on the diagram of the Basilica Julia and the information below, match the names of the people with their locations in the basilica, the items in their possession, and their roles in the case being heard in the court.
103. Can you make this fish swim in the opposite direction by moving only three matchsticks and the coin?
104. Can you draw this figure without lifting your pencil from the paper, retracing any lines, or crossing them?
105. Falco scratched his head in bewilderment. "There's no way to solve this case, Helena. We know that the murder was committed by one of five people, and I have their sworn statements, but I don't see how they can all be true." Helena looked at the statements:
"Well," she said, "you're right. They can't all be true. In fact, only three are true, so it must have been ...." But the baby started to wail, and Falco couldn't hear the name. Can you help him?
106. An unscrupulous merchant was discovered to be using false scales with arms of unequal length, When put in one of the pans of the scale, a honeydew appeared to weigh four ounces more than nine-elevenths of its true weight. When put into the other pan, the melon appeared to weigh three pounds more than in the first pan. How many ounces does the melon truly weigh?
107. Prior to a meeting of the Senate, Gaius Perplexus challenged the assembly with this proposal: "I'll give an amphora of wine to the first citizen who can answer this question correctly."
108. How many letters of the alphabet can be divided either vertically or horizontally into mirror-image halves?
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
109. Rolling dice was a favorite pastime during the Saturnalia, so here's a challenge based on the Venus throw.
If the opposite faces of a die total seven, can you figure out the missing spots? The top faces should use the numbers 1-6 only once, as should the front faces.
110. Tignarius is an ingenious carpenter. He was able to cut this perfect hexagon into five pieces which he could reassemble to form a perfect square for a table top. Can you figure out his plan?