Other OS Setup
Usenet News Setup
Web Page Setup
If you wish to use the Netscape Navigator and the Netscape Messenger as your
broswer and email programs, the following instructions will take you step by
step through through the setup.
If you have any problems or need assistance with any part of this
installation, you may contact our technical support staff at the
listed on your Startup Kit. If you are able to connect and check
your e-mail, Technical Support can be reached at
PART A - Download Netscape Communicator
If you have a web browser installed on your computer, you can download
the lastest version of Netscape Communicator by going to
If you have the Texas.Net Installation CD, insert it in your CD ROM
drive. Close the 'Welcome' when it appears. Click on 'Start' |
'Programs' | 'Windows Explorer' and select the drive letter for your CD.
Look in [cd drive:]\software\WIN9x and double click on the file
cc32e45. This will install version 4.5 so there may be some
minor differences in the setup screens from what is described below.
To download Netscape Communicator to a computer with no web browser
installed, you can use the following procedure:
- Connect to Texas.Net using your Texas.net Dial-Up Networking
- Open an MS-DOS window by clickng on 'Start' | 'Programs' |
- Type ftp ftp.netscape.com then press the 'Enter' key.
- At the 'User (ftp.netscape.com:(none)):' prompt, type
ftp then strike the 'Enter' key.
- At the 'Password:' prompt, type your e-mail address
(firstname.lastname@example.org) and press the 'Enter' key.
You might not see your e-mail address as you type it, so enter
- At the 'ftp>' prompt, type bin and press
the 'Enter' key. You should receive the message 'Type
set to I'.
- At the 'ftp>' prompt, type hash, then press the
'Enter' key. You should receive the message 'Hash mark
printing On (2048 bytes/hash mark)'
You should receive the message 'CWD Command Successful'.
- Type get cc32e472.exe and press the 'Enter' key.
- You should receive the message 'Opening BINARY mode data
connection...' At this point, the download is beginning.
Depending on your modem speed, this should take anywhere from
35 to 60 minutes. When the download is complete, you should
get a message saying 'Transfer complete'.
- At the ftp> prompt, type quit, and press
the 'Enter' key to exit the FTP program.
PART B - Install Netscape Communicator
- Click on 'Start | Run' and type cc32e472.exe
- Click on 'Next' at the welcome screen, and click on
'Yes' at the license agreement.
- Click on 'Next' to accept the Typical installation
and the default location.
- Click 'OK' if a previous version of Navigator was detected.
- At the 'Desktop Preference Options', make sure that only
'Make Natescape Communicator my default Internet browser'
is selected, and click on 'Next'.
- Click on 'Next' to accept the default program folder,
and on the next screen click on 'Install'.
- Click 'No' when asked to view the README file. It only
contains the instructions you have already just completed.
- Select 'Yes, I want to restart my computer now', and
click on 'OK'.
PART C - Configure Netscape Browser, Email,
After the installation, you will have a Netscape Communicator icon on
your desktop. Double click on this icon once you have gone through the
steps of Connecting to Texas.Net. To send or receive e-mail go to
Communicator then Messenger. To send or receive news articles go to
Communicator then Newsgroups.
- Double-click the 'Netscape Communicator' icon on your desktop.
- If prompted to create a new profile, click on 'Next'.
- Type your name and your Texas.Net email address
(email@example.com) into the appropriate fields and
click on 'Next'.
- Click 'Next' on the profile name screen.
- Enter mail.texas.net for 'Outgoing mail (SMTP)
server' and click on 'Next'.
- Enter your Texas.Net username for 'Mail server
Enter pop.texas.net for 'Incoming Mail Server'
Make sure 'POP3' is selected for 'Mail Server type'
Click on 'Next'
- Enter news.texas.net for 'News server name' and
- Select 'Edit' | 'Preferences' from the Navigator menu.
If the wizard appeared above, much of the following information
will already be entered.
- Select 'Navigation' from the list on the left. Under,
'Navigator starts with', select 'Home Page'.
Enter the address of the page you wish to load every time you
open your web browser. We recommend you type,
- Double-click 'Mail & Newsgroups' from the list on the
left, and then click on 'Identity'. Type your name
and your Texas.Net email address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
into the appropriate fields.
- Click on 'Mail Servers' in the list on the left.
- For 'Outgoing mail (SMTP) server:', type mail.texas.net
- Make sure that 'Outgoing mail server user name' is blank.
- Click on 'Newsgroup Server' in the list on the left.
- If news.texas.net appears under 'Newsgroup Servers',
click on it to select it, and click on 'Edit'. Select
'Only ask me for my user name and password when necessary'
Click on 'OK'
- If any other entry appears under 'Newsgroup Servers',
click on it to select it, and then click on 'Delete' to
Click on 'Add'.
For 'Server', type news.texas.net.
Make sure 'Always use name and password' is
NOT selected. As long as you are dialed into Texas.Net
you do not need a username or password to access newsgroups.
Click on 'OK'
- Click 'OK' to close the setup screen.
A Few Useful Windows Links
This is a list of helpful links containing help, tutorials, and
shareware. Some are Windows 95/98 specific and some are general